Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Virgins, new shows, and Daniel LaRusso's gonna fight...

Is it September already?! Holy crap, that was fast. Ah, but here we are and with some very cool things to show for it. I've had some pretty awesome past couple of weeks...been hanging out at the pool a bit, did some boating, been enjoying some Tennessee Fat Tire, hit a few Titans games, wrote some songs. One of the coolest things I did was go camping out in the Middle-Of-Freakin'-Nowhere, TN, otherwise known as Virgin Falls. It's just southeast of Crossville (once you actually find the area and get parked) and is a good 5 or 6 mile hike into the wilderness to find the falls. We hiked in about 2.5 miles, set up camp next to a HUGE cave and falls, and then made our way back to the actual Virgin Falls. Truly amazing site - if you're up for some remote camping, this is an undeniable spot.

Virgin Falls flowing in winter
Virgin Falls flowing in winter...


I also went out to L.A. for a few days for both pleasure and business. I saw my best friend that I've known since 2nd grade, Brian, out there and our buddy, Mark, who drove in from Vegas to add to the excitement, and one of my best friends, Sam, who I haven't seen in literally 5 years. The unavoidable geeky side of me LOVES movie locations and pop culture locations so we spent a good part of Friday seeing some pretty cool stuff...the Scrubs hospital, a bunch of Karate Kid sites, some Back To The Future sites, the original Michael Myers house from Halloween, etc. Yes, that's the geeky side of me...get over it! You've got one too.

The LaRusso residence in Reseda...
The LaRusso residence in Reseda...

Roads?  Where we're going, we don't need 'roads'...
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need 'roads'..."

Incredible view coming over the mountains into Malibu...
Incredible view coming over the mountains into Malibu...

Me being super-geeky in front of Sacred Heart from Scrubs...
Me being super-geeky in front of Sacred Heart from Scrubs...

The Cobra Kai dojo, now a dance studio...
The Cobra Kai dojo, now a dance studio...

The original Michael Myers house from Halloween...
The original Michael Myers house from Halloween...

The E.T. house...
The E.T. house...

Aaaaand not a bad moment to be in...
Aaaaand not a bad moment to be in...



Speaking of good moments, I also spent my Sunday in L.A. with the family over at Rural Rhythm, where we talked about the upcoming project and started fine-tuning some plans. I'm still not ballsey enough to put any time-frames on anything but I did leave pretty excited, provided a few minor planetoids align. We could be underway sooner than later so I'll just leave it at that for now. The music biz is a tempting mistress who loves to make a man wait...for example, RR just released Carrie Hasslers new CD which debuted at #3 on Billboard Bluegrass aaaaaand have a billion other projects in the queue that were started before ol' Mason Douglas ever came along. So I hurry up and wait until they call my number, simple as that.



In the meantime, the good news is that I'm "putting the band back together" for a show at 3rd & Lindsley on Sept 23rd, 6 pm. There'll be some new material, lots of the old stuff, and a few of the surprises you've come to know and love. So put it on your calendar and rock me like a hurricane.



Other upcoming shows inclued The Listening Room (new location!), The Bluebird Cafe, and the Tennessee State Fair. Check out http://www.masondouglasmusic.com/ and click on "Shows" for more info!!



I'm also appearing on a radio show in a Writer's Night with a bunch of my songwriting buddies: Vince Melamed ("Walk Away Joe", "What Mattered Most"), Craig Monday ("Got A Little Crazy"), Ray Sisk, Joshua Rush, and Cheley Tackett. The show is on Monday, Sept 8 at 8:00 PM EST on Dudley, MA 97.5 WNRC. Check out http://www.masondouglasmusic.com/ for more info!



Some final news pieces - Cory's (and Jen Adan's) song, "She Wouldn't Be Gone", recorded by Blake Shelton, was released to radio last week so make sure you request it wherever and whenever you can.



More to come soon...thanks for listening!



Mason

No comments: